There are currently five choirs for children:
- The Four Year Old’s Choir
- The Five Year Old’s
- The First and Second Grade Choir
- The Girls Choir (3rd-5th Grades)
- The Boys Choir (3rd-5th Grades)
These choirs meet on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM in various rooms in the church. There is an emphasis placed on learning the great hymns of the Church. All choirs sing at least once a semester in the worship services in addition to the annual Christmas program they present.
Parents can register their children for a choir at the beginning of the fall seasons, or inquire about the choir meeting places should they come later in the semester. Information about choir meeting places can be obtained through the music office at (601) 973-9139 or by looking at Wednesday activities on the Music Calendar.
Some Ideals of our Children’s Choirs Ministry
- Music is very important in God’s design of worship, therefore we hope that in our teaching we will help children to like to sing and be able to sing comfortably and intelligently in worship all of their lives.
- Since to sing well children need to know and use a healthy approach to breathing, we strive to teach them how to breath well for singing and what posture helps in the process.
- To sing well children need to know how to make a pleasing sound and to sing in a way that does not injure their developing voices. We teach the children how to sing on pitch and how to produce a pleasing tone.
- To sing well children are greatly aided by being able to read music. Throughout their years in choirs we hope to teach children the basics of music reading.
- Believing that what the children sing is important, we lay emphasis upon learning. The great historic hymns of the Church as these have texts and tunes that will stay with them the rest of their lives and will become their heart songs.